Yves Saint Laurent is one of our all-time favorite fashion designers. Named Yves Henri Donat Matthieu Saint Laurent, the designer was born August 1st, 1936 in Algeria. Growing up bullied and sick, he found solace in the fashion world, honing his craft and becoming a master couturier who had an endearingly sensitive side. In honor of his birthday, here are 10 facts you may not have known about him:
1. He was known for his quotes. One of his most famous quotes is "Fashions fade, style is eternal." Another famous one is "Chanel freed women and I empowered them."
2. As a child in Algeria, he designed clothing for handmade puppets and held performances for his family.
3. He was bullied relentlessly at school for being effeminate, and it took a huge toll on his mental well-being.
4. His talent was obvious from a young age, and he was appointed creative director of Dior when he was 21 years old.
5. Saint Laurent was known for inventing women's pantsuits in the 1970s. He also introduced tuxedos and blazers for women called Le Smoking. Bianca Jagger wore a white YSL Le Smoking jacket to her 1971 wedding to Mick Jagger.
6. He struggled with substance abuse throughout his life, but seemed to conquer his demons in his final years. He was a shy, introverted person who was known for his chain-smoking habit.
7. Saint Laurent had a long-term partner named Pierre Bergé. The two met in 1958, and started the House of Saint Laurent in 1961. The couple split in 1976 but remained on friendly terms.
8. French actress Catherine Deneuve was his design muse.
9. Tom Ford became creative director for YSL Ready-to-Wear in 1999, however Laurent kept creative control of the couture house until 2002.
10. Yves Saint Laurent's final show was in 2002, and he died after a battle with brain cancer on June 1st, 2008. He was 71 years old. After his death, news outlets featured endless tributes from fellow designers and old friends.
Let us know... what is your favorite YSL look?
***Featured image courtesy of YSL
Share this post