1. It Didn't Start With The Bag.It may come as a surprise that the Hermes fashion house has a history that extends far beyond the handbag that leaves us doing a double take every time we think we've spotted one in the grocery store. Hermes originally rose to fame in the early 1800's as a high-end harness and saddle maker that catered to the creme de la creme of the European elite. The Hermes horse and carriage logo remains emblematic of the brand's cultured foundation.
2. They're An E-Commerce Pioneer.Hermes was one of the first luxury fashion houses to dabble in the world of online shopping in launching it's e-commerce site in 2001.
3. The First Bag Was Created in the Name of Love.The first Hermes bag was crafted in 1922 by heir Emile-Maurice himself. The creation of the piece was in response to his wife's frustration from struggling to find the perfect handbag. Talk about marriage goals!
4. The Thread-Count On Their Scarves Is Literally Out Of This World.The amount of thread needed to make 1000 Hermes scarves stretches a length equaling the distance between the Earth and the Moon!
5. The Birkin Was Almost Not The Birkin.In 2015, Hermes came under fire from PETA over accusations made of poor and inhumane treatment of the crocodiles used to create the legendary Birkin bag. The heat of the scandal even led Jane Birkin to request the removal of her the last name from the piece. Relax fashionistas, PETA and Hermes eventually settled for a small buy-in agreement that granted PETA access to the brand's annual ethics meetings, and the Birkin name remains in all of it's immaculate and fabulous glory.
6. The Orange Box Is An Accidental Icon.
For the handbag obsessed, there is nothing more satisfying than the sight of a bright orange box with brown ribbon. Believe it or not bag-lovers, it was only after World War II when Hermes was experiencing shortfall in the materials used to make the original cream-colored boxes did they decide to make the switch to using the orange folded box method that seems to have made a very lasting impression.